first impressions by jude deveraux

Written by Darlyn At Monday, May 10, 2010
Title: First Impressions
Author:
Jude Deveraux
Pages:
448
Rating:
4/5

Synopsis (Goodreads):

Eden Palmer knows how to make it on her own. The forty-something single mother has worked hard to raise her beloved daughter, but sooner or later a woman must come into her own, and that's what Eden tries to do when she moves to Arundel, North Carolina, to take ownership of Farrington Manor. Arriving in the South's prettiest small town, Eden quickly learns that looks can be deceiving when her move is met with delight in some quarters and jealousy in others. Pursued by two eligible bachelors, the rugged Jared McBride and Braddon Granville, small-town lawyer and town catch, Eden is flattered and more than a little suspicious. Juggling the attentions of two men is hard enough, but soon Eden's bid to start over plunges her in the middle of a mystery that threatens not just her reputation, but her very life. Can she use one man to save her from the other?

My Review:

I have not read any of Jude Deveraux before. However, it is an adorable book which I enjoyed reading it. The book is quite entertaining and very intriguing romance-mystery diversions. My first impression was this would be like any other typical contemporary novels. And yes, it is.

The setting is nice. I always love places with a good history which is so much to be told. South Carolina seems to be one. It fulls of this founding family members, old houses, 18th century garden landscape. Wow. I've learned so much about gardening in this book.

Eden's character is wonderful as a single mother. Her past was terrible as she's being raped when was 17 and her parents outcast her when found out she was pregnant. Twenty years later, still single, after her daughter got married with someone she hardly approved of, she's being willed and inherited a Farrington Manor by the late Mrs. Farrington. She accepted it without knowing she's somehow involved in an FBI matters or she's being one of their suspects.

She met a gorgeous lawyer, and being stucked with an arrogant FBI agent. I don't trust the lawyer at first and I thought the lawyer is the skank. But I was proved wrong. Both of them fell in love with the same woman, and all the mess happening makes the story quite entertaining. The mystery is not quite a strong essence to make it a big case for an FBI to involve. I don't know if that is considered as a big time/serious case. More like not really believable case for me.

All in all, I still think the book is good, enough to entertain me while waiting for a meeting. I would recommend it to any adult readers and anyone who likes a fast-paced romantic story =)

p/s: Happy Mother's Day to all Mothers and Mommies-to-be in the world!

10 comments:

  1. I haven't read this book yet, but oh how I loved Jude Deveraux's older books! You've to read them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ melody: I'll take your recommendations. This will not be her last book i'll read =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like a cute book and has a nice little mystery. i haven't read a jude deveraux book in years but i did enjoy her old historicals. thanks for the review darlyn and i hope you had a nice weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey you! I've read a book by Deveraux before and it didn't really capture my interest then. The fact that the main leads are somewhat old didn't really help my case either, lol. Though this one sure sounds rather light and fluffy read! Thanks for the review =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never heard of the author or the book before. But it does sounds so cute and light! A fun book to take with me on a trainride to college. The cover of the book is cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to check this one out. I love the cover. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my favorite books of all time is by Jude Deveroux and it is nothing like she has written before or since. Try Summerhouse and I think you will see what I mean. Fantastic book that I re-read about every two years. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review!
    Sounds like a book I would enjoy for a nice light read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've not read anything by this author but keep seeing this book in the bookstores. I'm not sure I'll be reading her but I like the sound of it from your review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Summerhouse by Jude Deveroux was an absolute favorite of mine as well ... I re-read it a second time ... fantastic book !!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments! XOXO ;p

 

Once A Bookworm Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review