handle with care by jodi picoult

Written by Darlyn At Monday, January 11, 2010
The Summary: (the synopsis totally from picoult's blog)

When Charlotte and Sean O’Keefe’s daughter, Willow, is born with severe osteogenesis imperfecta, they are devastated – she will suffer hundreds of broken bones as she grows, a lifetime of pain. As the family struggles to make ends meet to cover Willow’s medical expenses, Charlotte thinks she has found an answer. If she files a wrongful birth lawsuit against her ob/gyn for not telling her in advance that her child would be born severely disabled, the monetary payouts might ensure a lifetime of care for Willow. But it means that Charlotte has to get up in a court of law and say in public that she would have terminated the pregnancy if she’d known about the disability in advance – words that her husband can’t abide, that Willow will hear, and that Charlotte cannot reconcile. And the ob/gyn she’s suing isn’t just her physician – it’s her best friend.

My thoughts on this:

well, i don't how to put it in words, totally..once, before i start to read this, i asked shy what's her opinions on picoult's work( i never read any of hers by the way)..and she warned me to be ready as i will be totally absorbed by the book..that can be possible i guessed because it always turn out that way many times..and i end up believing that she's right..

handle with care is well written, it’s conscientiously researched, exciting lawsuit to pull you along and so much information regarding to medical procedures, terms and sometime i googled it to find what does it means..i have to agree that this story really succeed to make me pull myself together and read it till the end..but there was time when i was reading, i had to stop because i couldn't continue to read the next line..and it took me a day to carry on the reading..her story is not boring, it is just that, it's heavy..too emotional..picoult has her own style to to elaborate, make us believe what she's telling and twist everything around and make me don't understand at all..the story was full of complication and emotions mixture between the disabled child, the wife, the husband, the other child, the best friend, and everyone around them..

it made me stress to read her story, really..it's not like other books that i've read..when i read novels, i really hope at least there is a happy ending..even it is a thriller, crime, world saving, or anything close to that kind, but in hers, i can't find any..after so much obstacles they had to face, end up like they actually gain for nothing?is this for real? i have to ask myself over and over again..

i love the book..i love the way it was written, and have to admit, there are so much in there that i love..it is a good read after all, (only i think that it is not a light read..it is way too heavy less then reading stephen king..) the only flaw i can find is me, that i hate the ending..i hate to figure out that there is actually not a slightest happy ending in this book.. and i hate when it comes to that dead end..it just like, what?is this the end?are you joking me?

this is what i sincerely think about the book..picoult may be a great author, she has great story to tell, only that (for this book) i hate the fact that the story absolutely made me disappointed because it has no happy ending like i hope for..and that is why people think she's a remarkable author indeed..succeed to make a person like me to hate the book, but cannot resist or stop me to read her other books after all.. =p

My rating: 4/5


6 comments:

  1. Hi Darlyn, I like your review because you are very honest. I really enjoy Piccoult's books because they really make you think about all sides of difficult issues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ fiona = thanks fiona..i'm looking forward to read her other books too.. =p

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe that each and every time we read books by Jodi Picoult, we would feel as if we've embark on an emotional rollercoaster.

    I love the books by Picoult for the same reason as Fiona did. The way she depicts real life events in her books makes me realise that things could happen - at anytime - without us realising it.

    A good review, thank you for sharing =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ shy = i wish i could say that too..well, this is my 1st book from picoult and wait till i read more of her books..maybe i'll come to the same conclusion as yours..and yes, her story revolves with the emotional complication..she's just so brilliant doing that.. =p

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read all of Jodi Picoult's books and love them but you're right they are very emotional, heavy going, sometimes depressing read. I didn't like the ending on this one, I thought it was a cop-out but I loved the story. Excellent review btw

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read a couple of Picoult's books including this one and you get used to the 'surprise' ending. I really enjoyed the book and wasn't surprised by the end. I think she was trying to remind people that it doesn't matter how much money you have the most important thing is family and loved ones.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments! XOXO ;p

 

Once A Bookworm Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review